My newly installed drive won't show up
Most drives need just a few simple button-clicks to get set up. Here are the simple steps to do so.
- In the Windows search bar, type in “Disk Management” or right click the windows button and select it from the menu. You will get a menu that looks something like this:
- The chart at the bottom lists all your current drives (allocated and not allocated)
- Right click the unallocated drive (the disk should show a black bar instead of blue) and Choose “new simple volume” from the shortcut menu.
- New simple volume wizard should show up, you want to hit next.
- Windows will ask you to set the size of the volume, the current number displaying is the entire size of the disk. Do not change the number listed there. Click next.
- Assign the drive a letter that you would like (you can keep it what was assigned already.) Click next.
- Make sure “format this volume with the following settings is chosen” If NTFS format is not already chosen, select it and hit next.
- Click finish to create the new volume.
You have now allocated your new drive and are free to use it as you please!